Passing gas in a public place can leave you embarrassed. Situations like these are so common that anyone may face them at some point in time. Don’t worry as we have you covered with home remedies to get rid of gas and stomach bloating. People who regularly suffer from the condition always want to learn how to get rid of intestinal gas which affects their quality of life. But before knowing what is good for gas, let’s take a quick look at the causes.
What Causes Gas Pain?
According to NIDDK (the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases), swallowing air while eating and drinking, and eating certain foods are few of the root causes of excess gas in the stomach. Pain in the abdomen occurs when the gas gets trapped in the intestine in spite of moving through the digestive tract.
Gas and bloating can sometimes happen due to other digestive conditions too. Here are some of them-
IBS – One of them is Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS, which is defined as the collection of symptoms such as pain in the stomach and difficulty in passing stool. IBS can initiate severe gas pains.
GERD – GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) is a digestive condition where the food residing in your stomach travels back up to your esophagus and causes reflux and burps.
Small Intestinal Bacterial Growth – In this condition, the bacterias living in your small intestines overgrow or change, which causes extra gas in your stomach. The person may also suffer from diarrhea and can lose weight. This disease itself is a side effect of other prominent health issues.
What Causes Bloating?
Bloating occurs when you have eaten food in excess. It causes you to experience a feeling of fullness. In bloating, the size of the abdomen gets increased due to which tightness is felt resulting in abdominal pain. The pain which origins due to bloating causes cramps or the contraction of muscles. The cramps can cause pain and discomfort in your stomach and abdomen area.
Basically, it is the undigested food which triggers the discomfort in the stomach and prevents you from concentrating on an important task. Surprisingly, the pain may occur at different parts of the stomach and intensity of the pain may differ every time.
Home Remedies for Gas Pain and Bloating
Are you wondering how to relieve gas pain at home without visiting a doctor? If you are one of those people who generally avoid chemical drugs, then you can entirely go for the natural ways to get rid of gas. But, before that understand the fact that treating the root cause and taking precautions for not letting the gas and bloating occur, can prevent you from much pain in advance. Once you know what helps with gas pain, you should also motivate yourself to make changes in your diet and take actions that will diminish your problem from the root. Make yourself aware for future, and avoid the foods that cause gas. Of all the issues linked to health, this one disturbs the peace of mind the most and does not allow you to take proper rest as taking a leave for such problem is another embarrassment.
The reason why the age-old home remedies for gas work is that they don’t have any side effects on your body. You can apply these methods without any risk or doctor’s prescription.
How Do Home Remedies Help With Gas and Bloat?
An article shows that treating the digestive system is linked to fighting off bacteria found in the stomach. Some of the below mentioned remedies exhibit anti-microbial properties, which help your body fight with the bacteria. The anti-spasmodic property soothes the contraction of muscles and the carminative property works towards the prevention and expulsion of gas. These over the counter remedies are easily available in your kitchen cabinet and are utterly harmless.
1. Herbal Teas to Get Rid of Gas
One such option to stay gas-free is drinking herbal tea of a particular flavor. The traditional health benefits linked to drinking tea are known to all. It improves your mood, keeps you hydrated, and maintains the blood sugar levels in your body. People have been using herbal tea for getting rid of gas since ancient times.
Tea is one of those beverages which is consumed on a daily basis more than once. There are several types of tea available in the market, but the ideal selection of tea for gas relief depends upon the nutrients your body needs. It will be interesting for you to know about some herbal teas solely being sold for providing ease from the formation of excess gas and other disorders that have a connection with gas.
- Peppermint Tea for Gas – According to some studies, it has been reported that there are absolutely no adverse effects linked to consumption of peppermint tea. It provides relief from gas to some extent. However, there is a need for more studies to evidently say that peppermint tea works as a prominent cure for gas (1)
- Ginger Tea – There are many health benefits of ginger that people use in their day to day life. For people, who are prone to facing a delay in digestion, it has been reported to stimulate the digestive tract. Although the details of the mechanism behind its positive effects are unknown, yet there are no side effects of consuming ginger, even for a pregnant woman (2).
There are other claims through some scientific studies that establish ginger as a herbal medicine for treating problems like cramps, pain, and indigestion (3).
- Chamomile Tea – The findings of clinical studies suggest that blending chamomile in a hot cup of water to drink 2-3 times a day is beneficial in preventing the gas from building up in the intestine. It also shows positive effects in emptying the excessive gas from the stomach (4).
- Anise Tea – This tea is equipped with antimicrobial properties. It is safe to drink anise tea to keep the digestive system work properly.
Note: Anise tea is not suitable for infants because of the presence of toxins in it (5).
- Blend Lemon in Tea – It is one of the best natural remedies for gas pain. It has been reported that blending lemon in water or tea, resolves most of the digestive problems (6). There are many different flavors of tea available on the market. You can opt for the lemon flavor to avail the required benefits if you don’t wish to use the blending method.
- Honey Drops in Tea – Of all the benefits of honey, one of them works for the treatment of excessive gas. Honey can be consumed in different ways, and adding a few drops of honey in a hot tea is one of the easy and feasible ones. Figuratively, you can kill two birds with a stone. You can get the benefits of honey without consuming it directly. Getting relief from gas and bloating by using honey is a tried and tested method for ages (7).
It has also been confirmed that honey possesses anti-microbial properties (8).
2. Consume Iberogast with Water or Tea
Iberogast is a liquid which targets some problems linked to stomach, like bloating, cramps and pains in abdomen, etc. It is a mixture of nine herbal ingredients that include- leaves of lemon balm, peppermint, caraway, chamomile flowers, etc., which are used to make it useful for treating stomach disorders. It is advised that one should evidently read the instructions before using Iberogast. Researchers have shown that consuming it, is both practical and safe. However, those who are sensitive to skin allergies should prevent from using this remedy, as studies suggest that it may cause skin reactions (9). The guideline for consumption says that you can take it three times a day. Dilute it with water or tea to take it before and after the meal (10).
3. Essential Oils for Gas and Bloating
Using essential oils to treat stomach disorderliness or in food, are part of the tradition being followed for several decades. The good thing about essential oils is that they are readily available and most of them are cheap.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint shows antimicrobial activity. The study being done on some people suggests that peppermint oil relieves the symptoms of gas (11). However, people suffering from following conditions, like kidney stones and hiatal hernia, are advised to not use peppermint oil as a therapy.
- Coriander Seed Oil and Lemon Balm – According to research published on National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), coriander seed oil and lemon balm are found the most effective ingredients for the treatment of gas and bloating. Both coriander and the oil of coriander are efficient in helping you deal with the problem of gas. One of the negative impacts of the formation of excess gas is that it goes to the brain, which is the ultimate reason for why a headache takes place in some cases. Treating your gas trouble with these remedies also helps in eliminating the headache caused by it (12).
- Thyme Oil for Gas Relief – Thyme is a herb which is primarily considered as a natural remedy for gas. It has been backed by the medical studies that thyme exhibits antimicrobial property, due to which it helps in relieving pain in the stomach (13). Thyme oil is derived from thyme, which is an edible herb and can be added to your food as well. By consuming the food items blended with thyme, you will be producing even less amount of gas.
- Anise as an Oil for Treating Digestive System – The research indicates that Anise shows antimicrobial property which helps you keep an efficient digestive system. The focus of the study was to find out the mechanism behind the healing properties of Anise oil which can treat digestive disorders (14).
- The Essential Oil of Caraway for Bloating – Owing to the anti-spasmodic property of caraway seeds, it is a suitable oil for curing bloating. Several studies have suggested that it is useful in healing the problems that start with the gastrointestinal disorders (15).
- Rub the Essential Oil of Mastic On the Stomach – Rubbing mastic oil on your stomach can help you get rid of excessive gas accumulated in the intestine. Mastic oil is known as an anti-microbial agent (16). The substance mastic is a powerful home remedy for digestive disorders.
- The Oil of Fennel Relieves Abdominal Pain – Fennel essential oil is a convenient remedy to treat stomach ache not just due to being used from an ancient time, but there is enough scientific evidence suggesting the oil of fennel to be effective for digestive problems due to its antimicrobial property. The essential oil made from fennel works well to help your body overcome the pain in the abdomen. Scientists are yet to research about what specific chemical components make it worthwhile. But you shouldn’t wait to rub it on your stomach for getting comfort, as it carries no side effects. The scientific fact behind its potential application is that it relaxes the muscles of the intestine (17). Research says that using essential oil of curcumin and fennel as a combination is effective for the treatment of IBS too (18).
- The Essential Oil of Dill – The essential oil of dill possesses all the goodness of an anti-microbial agent. Owing to the natural compounds found in it, the studies have suggested that it is effective in relieving the pain striking in the abdomen. Thus, it is one of the best ways for treating the digestive problems, such as gas and bloating (19).
4. Probiotic is a Natural Remedy for Gas
A probiotic is a microorganism, which people of all ages and genders can consume to get relief from the discomfort in the stomach after eating food. A study proved that probiotics are effective in providing relief with bloating (20).
Timely research has verified that probiotics, such as yogurt, tempeh, and kefir are highly beneficial (Get real Kefir here) for the treatment of bloating. Not every bacteria is harmful and natural probiotics contain bacteria that you need to fight the gas and bloating (21). However, there are rare cases when the prescription of probiotic is not considered safe. Notably, the intake of probiotics for people with weak immune system requires a caution because such population has less strength to fight bacteria. For instance, people with HIV have a weaker immune system as compared to others. Therefore, people who exhibit the symptoms of HIV must not consume probiotics (22).
5. Beano for Increasing Speed of Chemical Reaction
Beano is a diet supplement, which is recommended to consume along with eating beans. It helps in breaking down the food into components. Thus, being effective in decreasing gas in the stomach.
The reason why you can’t digest certain foods, like beans, is that your body lacks the enzyme which is responsible for the digestion. More specifically, the chemical reaction in your body may be slower due to which indigestion occurs. In the composition of Beano, a substance called Alpha-galactosidase is found, which has the capability to provide the suitable enzymes that increase the speed of chemical reactions occurring in the stomach (23).
6. Baking Soda for Gas as an Antacid
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is an antacid which aids in digestion. The guidelines for prescriptions say that you should take it with water having spent 1 or 2 hours after eating meals. The study findings suggest that baking soda is very useful in getting rid of gas problems, but only when you take it to an absolute limit. It is strongly recommended that you shouldn’t allow a child below 12 years of age to consume baking soda unless a doctor has prescribed it (24).
According to the study findings, there may be side effects of sodium bicarbonate in the cases described further. If your diet doesn’t involve sodium as told by the doctor, then you shouldn’t take it. Besides, if you don’t have the urge to eat food, you feel weak and irritated or urinate frequently, then you should avoid consuming sodium bicarbonate (25).
7. Curcumin as Herbal Medicine
It is one of the best remedies for chest pain which occurs due to gas. It shows antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities which play a significant role in the prevention of lung damage (26).
It is a natural herb which is readily available on the market. It comes in the form of powder, just like turmeric. It is a spice that you can add in any of your food recipes while cooking, according to the requirement. It has multifold benefits. So it will not only treat the gas problem but is also capable of healing wounds and keep the liver functioning well.
8. Heating Pad for Relief in Gas Pain
In women, bloating also occurs due to the monthly menstruation cycle. The pain in the lower abdomen area can cause cramps too, which can be reduced using a heating pad on the affected area. A day or two prior to the period, the pain starts and may last longer in some women. It is necessary to treat gas and bloating because you may have a very painful time dealing with the problem (27).
Keep in mind, patients with hypothermia are strictly warned for not using the heating pad (28). Hypothermia is a disease in which the temperature of the body drops down because body evaporates heat more than it takes.
9. Exercise is Good for Health
A study conducted on eight patients with bloating found that exercising made the condition better. Therefore, exercise is encouraged to get rid of the symptoms of bloating (29).
Lack of exercise is meant to be one of the causes of developing swelling. Even athletes find an escape from bloating when they regularly do the training (30).
Many people aren’t able to take out time for exercise. It becomes a pattern which you may find hard to break. New research says that you need only seven minutes from your busy schedule for activity (31). If you can incorporate this habit into your routine, you will live your life in a much better way.
Scientifically, when you are moving your body parts, the system remains active and keep working correctly. This research aimed at finding out whether exercise for a small interval of time is effective or not. Surprisingly, there are positive results saying that people get enough motivation to exercise when it lasts only for seven minutes. It is associated with our brains that any process takes a rather long time, then we tend to withdraw (32). It is highly recommended to do abdominal exercises.
10. Take a Walk after Eating Food
The solution for getting rid of gas pain and bloating starts with eliminating the root cause. As we start chewing food, the digestion process begins. The food passes through several stages. One part of the meal gets digested while the portion which remains undigested plays a significant role in haunting you. Venting out gas is a regular part of life, but due to indigestion, gas accumulates unnecessarily in the intestine. It is a well-tried fact that going for a walk after consuming the food helps in preventing the gas from consolidating in the intestine (33).
11. Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking water at regular intervals helps in digestion. Study findings suggest it is beneficial to drink boiled water prior to 30 minutes of having breakfast. Since there is a limit set on consuming every food and liquid, you should know how much is less. The intake of water depends on the individual. One of the adverse effects of not drinking enough water is constipation (34). It is the condition in which the individual has difficulty in passing stool. Daily consumption of liquid involves a lot of food items including beverages. Research says that the total amount of fluid on a daily basis which should be consumed is 3,000 ml for men and 2,200 ml for women (35) and it will help a lot to prevent gastrointestinal problems.
12. Natural Herbs
Here are some natural herbs that are tried and tested for treating gas and bloating for a long time. –
- Ajwain (carom seeds) exhibits antispasmodic and carminative properties.
- Anise also shows contaminative effects, which are discussed above.
- Cumin is said to be improving the symptoms of flatulence. It has been reported that the substance called caraway which is found in cumin seeds, exhibits both antispasmodic and carminative properties.
- Another natural herb known as thyme promotes digestion (36).
Based on the substances mentioned above, the methods pointed out below are under the claim to heal the condition of flatulence.
- Take 5 grams of ajwain, anise, caraway and cumin to mix them up with a little amount of rock candy powder. Consume one tablespoon of this mixture three times a day. You will find relief in the pain, as these substances are known to improve the digestive system.
- Taking the mixture of black cumin and ajwain in the same amount before and after having a meal, is strongly recommended.
- Take a cloth and wrap wheat bran, salt, and leaves of dill in it. Place it on the part of the stomach where you feel the pain.
- The blend of thyme and salt is a home remedy which is said to exert instant relief from the stomach ache.
Natural herbs are highly effective to help you get rid of gas and have been tested to provide relief from gas and bloating time and again (37).
13. Drink Apple Cider Vinegar for Gas
You can add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to drink along with water or tea. You can make a routine of taking it right before consuming your meals, and not more than three times a day. When a patient suffers from the problems linked to gas, physicians generally advise taking ACV (38).
14. Epsom Salt to Relieve Pain
Epsom Salt, also known as magnesium sulfate is useful for treating constipation and finding relief from stomach pain. Drink water with a blend of a little amount of Epsom Salt. People in the United States of America put their faith in Epsom Salt when their stomach is not in the right condition (39).
15. Asafoetida is an Anti-spasmodic Agent
Commonly known as Heeng in India, Asafoetida is a spice used for adding flavor to the food. From another perspective, it is a herbal medicine which has potential application in treating stomach ache, and aids in digestion. It becomes possible due to the anti-spasmodic property it infuses once you consume it. Keep in mind that it is not advised to be consumed by infants. A case was reported that an infant suffered the side effects due to its toxicity. So, it is strongly recommended to avoid the intake of asafoetida for an infant (40).
16. Triphala as an Aid in Digestion
Triphala is known for improving the digestive system because it enhances the stability of the stomach. It comes under the Ayurvedic therapy which is famous for naturally treating issues linked to the digestive health. Triphala is the best way to get rid of gas and is considered very effective in improving the digestion and getting rid of constipation (41, 42).
17. Pumpkin Fruit for Aid in Digestion
The art of dealing with a problem is in recognition of it. The conflicts you face in the stomach is mainly due to consumption of the food which your body is not able to digest easily. Thus, it is clear that the solution lies in modifying the diet in a way which includes those food items that actually help in digestion. Pumpkin fruit is one of them, which contains nine amino acids. People from many countries including the US consume pumpkin fruit for healthy digestion (43).
18. Simeticone to Getting Rid of Gas Bubble
For getting rid of a gas bubble in your stomach, the use of simeticone is efficient. It is an over the counter product for helping you get rid of the bubbles in your stomach. Keep in mind to follow the instructions regarding the dose, as it varies from one person to another. If you are pregnant or consuming other medications also, make sure to consult the doctor before adding it to your list of cures. According to research, activated charcoal hasn’t been observed as effective for improving the condition. However, simeticone has been shown helpful in providing relief from bloating (44).
19. Take a Low FODMAP Diet
The researchers have always taken an interest in improving the quality of life by figuring out as many options as possible to give relief from the gas pain. The FODMAP diet contains food that forms a short chain of carbs which are known to be poorly absorbed by the human intestine. Thus consuming food items that have low FODMAP contents, will help in beating the bloat (46).
The following vegetables include low FODMAP diet which you should eat to treat bloating –
- Green Beans
- Bean Sprouts
The following fruits are a part of low FODMAP diet which is suitable for people suffering from bloating –
There are some sources of protein which are the part of a low FODMAP diet. For example – fish, chicken, tofu and peanut butter.
Apart from these options, you can eat pasta, bread, and biscuits which do not contain gluten as a constituent. If you want to eat nuts and seeds, almonds and pumpkin seeds qualify as a part of the low FODMAP diet. In a low FODMAP diet, rice, oats, beef, pork, peppers are also allowed (47, 48).
The food items which you should avoid are sweet corn, pistachios, cashews, cow milk, ice cream, mango, and celery. These food items come under high FODMAP diet which is not apt for a person suffering from digestive problems.
Knowing that high FODMAP diet is associated with causing gas, you should avoid the food which won’t suit you. People are differently sensitive to certain foods that are entirely normal for others but may not work for you (49).
As one of the famous phrases convey the idea that you are what you eat. So you have to take care of your health by keeping track of what you are eating on a daily basis. No one can know better than you what food items are affecting your body in which manner. To keep a check, you can record the entire food items and then start eliminating one food item as an experiment to see what happens as a result.
You can surely get rid of gas and bloat on your own by implementing the aforementioned remedies. The concern increases when there are some signs that charge up along with gas. Losing weight, feeling pain in abdomen for hours, feeling pain in the chest, as well as vomiting, are significant symptoms that shouldn’t be avoided. You should consult your doctor in such cases (50).
How to Get Rid of Gas Pains While Pregnant?
It has been observed that in pregnant women bloating is likely to occur due to difficulty in sleeping, anxiety, and depression (51). It can be troublesome for pregnant women to handle everything all at once.
Notably, for a woman who is going to become a mother for the first time, it can be challenging to cope with the stress. But remember, it is not going to last forever. Your doctor must have informed you that you are most likely to be inactive during your pregnancy, especially during the last stage and post delivery. With some awareness of what you can do to take care of yourself or a pregnant woman, the following ideas are worthy of taken into consideration –
20. Exercise Daily
The efforts and time taken for exercising are always beneficial regardless of when and who takes such actions. Being a pregnant woman, you may remain physically inactive for days converting into weeks. According to a study, in many patients implementing a habit of exercising daily has turned out efficient to reduce the effects of bloating (52).
When you keep moving, you are not allowing the gas to get stuck in the stomach. Doing a little bit of exercise daily is going to be immensely powerful to get rid of disrupting stomach issues. Regular physical activity may help a pregnant woman and her baby gain the weight according to the required standards. The experts suggest that each one of us should do aerobic exercises for a period of 30 minutes on a daily basis. The result of this training is effective because it increases breathing quality. You can also go for a walk in a park located nearby. If you enjoy watching TV, then you should keep moving when advertisements start airing. In this way, you will be able to set a fixed routine for the activity of your body and will prevent gas and bloating successfully (53).
21. Drink Plenty of Fluids
Consuming plenty of water is linked to providing relief from constipation and other similar problems that might occur due to pregnancy. Your doctor would have suggested you already to make changes in your diet and have more of fluids. The juices of banana, orange, grapefruits, etc. are recommended to complete the requirement of the adequate nutrients and preventing access gas (54).
22. Eat Healthy
Intake of a right amount of fiber helps you get rid of gas during pregnancy. Moreover, if the diet is not well balanced, there is a risk of developing diabetes. The only way to not allow the level of sugar to rise beyond normal is to eat healthy food. That being said, junk food is not encouraged in any aspect, as it will produce more gas. You need to make the most out of the food that you consume. As a pregnant woman, you are advised to add lots of fruits and vegetables to your diet. Keep the food containing whole grains in moderate amount. The food with high fiber content is a good choice. For keeping your stomach healthy, you can take beans and pasta classified as the whole wheat (55).
What Can You Do to Prevent Gas?
There are certain types of habits that are deemed responsible for the formation of excess gas in your stomach. Thus, making some changes to the diet can help you out a lot than you think.
As this applies to all the diseases, prevention is better than cure. You can surely treat your problem by taking care of yourself and following a proper diet. When you have been exposed to a specific problem, it becomes a primary consideration to take note of your medical issues so that next time you don’t have to suffer them again. When you take care of yourself, you become eligible to do the same for others. So, here are some preventive remedies to take good care of yourself and aid the problem of gas –
23. Stop Smoking
Tar and nicotine are harmful to health. According to NIDDK, as a result of quitting smoking, you will swallow less air leading to reduced accumulation of gas in the intestine (56). It is a strong suggestion to quit smoking as it is linked to the improvement of the digestive system (57). So, even if you don’t smoke, avoid going to such places where you may inhale unwanted smoke or avoid being around people who smoke.
If you have already preserved a habit of smoking, you should know that it has been ingrained in your consciousness. Once you start with a cigarette, soon it becomes an addiction that your mind reminds you timely to smoke one or many. In fact, it is hard to get rid of bad habits; you may have a hard time quitting smoking if you have ever tried. We have some tactics to guide you through the process of building a habit of not smoking anymore.
You may try replacing the bad habit with a good one. If you smoke right after eating a meal, then take a short walk. You can learn new skills to keep your mind and body working. You need to convince yourself that you are quitting smoking for your betterment only. First of all, you should always remember that there are specific health benefits linked to leaving this practice. The study findings suggest that people who don’t smoke have a stronger immune system. Also, if you don’t smoke, you are likely to have a more balanced stomach (58).
How to Quit Smoking?
- It may turn tough to quit smoking as managing the urge to smoke is not so easy. One of the easiest ways that you may try is write down all the points related to why would you like to quit smoking. Whenever there is an urge of smoking, you need to draw the attention to those points. It will work as the motivation.
- To get out of the problem, focus on the root cause. Ask yourself the reason for smoking, such as- is there something which triggers you most of the times to smoke or why did you start it in the first place? You may be able to find out that perhaps the trigger is ignited after you do a particular work, like eating a meal or while driving. Once you are aware of the situations you smoke in, you can avoid smoking and reduce it with time. If you are conscious about your health, then there are chances that you will stop smoking gradually.
- All you need to do is build self-control and reduce the cigarette consumption with each passing day. Be prepared with a plan to avoid smoking. If the control is really hard, keeping yourself busy is what you need to pay your attention to.
- Be in that group of people who don’t smoke. Watch a movie, do exercise, eat healthy food, drink plenty of water and above all, keep a positive attitude when the thought of smoking comes haunting.
- Think that you have other better things to do than smoking. Reevaluate your goals, dreams, and ambitions. Associate the completion of your aims with good habits (59).
24. Avoid Eating Foods that Cause Gas
One of the ways to get relief from the pain you often feel due to indigestion is to stop eating those foods that don’t fit into your diet. Keep a track of the dietary routine you follow because there may be some items on your list that repetitively cause you excessive gas. Whereas some foods that cause gas, there are others that help you get rid of it. Let’s have a look at some of the gas producing diet products that you may have been consuming daily.
- Some people are Intolerant to Lactose: Lactose is one of the sugars found in milk. Digesting lactose is not a cup of tea for everyone. Thus drinking milk may turn into causing bloating and cramping in the abdomen. You may be wondering why such a phenomenon occurs. To put it simply, lactase is one of those enzymes that body produces to digest lactose. So the obvious reason for lactose intolerance lies in the body’s inability to produce much amount of lactase to digest lactose. If that is the case, then avoid consuming the products which are rich in lactose (60).
- Not Every Vegetable is Good for You: You may have heard that vegetables are good for your health. But the same is not true for every type of vegetable available in the market. For some people, there are a few vegetables which are hard for them to digest, such as broccoli, onions, sprouts, potatoes, etc. Consuming them only allows excess carbohydrates to get into the stomach that ultimately results in gas or bloating (61).
- Some People are Intolerant to Fructose: If you have been consuming foods that are rich in fructose, then you might be inviting troubles. It is so because not everyone is tolerant of fructose (62). Corn syrup is the source of fructose, and those intolerant of it should have been consuming it in a limit (63).
How to Provide Relief from Gas to Newborns?
How to Know if the Baby is Crying Due to Gas Pain?
The only way of communication for a child is crying. If s/he is crying for a long time, it’s an indication that there is a medical problem. Whether that newborn gets the treatment or not, it depends on how much aware you are about the needs of your child. A healthy lifestyle for a baby is the reflection of care you provide as a primary caretaker. Generally, an infant cries when s/he is deprived of food or feeling thirsty, but if your child cries frequently, s/he needs a proper medical assessment.
Home Remedies for Newborns to get rid of Gas
Applying the same set of remedies for newborns can be tricky, as the infants are much sensitive and vulnerable in comparison to adults. A baby who recently took birth has to be less immune to the environment where we live. There are specific and unique needs of the newborns that you must take care of when you are implementing any solution for their gas problems. In cases concerning a child, it is always advised to consult a pediatrician. But in case of late night emergencies, when the doctor is unavailable or not reachable, you can follow these home remedies to provide some relief.
25. Probiotics are Safe
Among such problems that newborns face in their new world, one is linked to gas not being expelled from the intestine. As it is mentioned earlier, probiotics are safe for infants and can be consumed by them, if required (64).
26. Alternative Food for Lactose Intolerance
A condition known as baby colic refers to the situation when a baby cries for more than 3 hours on a daily basis. A study suggests that baby colic occurs due to many different reasons. The pertinent causes are the accumulation of gas in the intestine and inability to digest lactose. The problem of gas may be occurring due to feeding milk when your child is intolerant to digesting lactose (65). However, this is a rare condition in babies, but if that’s the case replace milk with lactose-free or soy-based infant formula.
27. Take Care of Hygiene
Sanitation is one of the major aspects to look forward. A child is prone to catching infectious diseases when you don’t take care of hygiene. Keep your hands neat and clean and washed at all times when you are in contact with the newborn. Good hygiene will prevent much of bacteria-borne gastrointestinal infections, and save your baby from much trouble.
28. Give Your Baby a Gentle Stomach Massage
A baby is so sensitive that you have to think twice before treating him or her without consulting a doctor. Therefore, you should keep in mind the safety guidelines. Giving massage therapy to a newborn is no joke, as you are taking care of a very delicate body. A massage therapy fosters the relationship of a newborn with parents as well as makes the immune system of the child stronger.
That being said, the act of massage has shown benefits in eliminating the condition of baby colic. As a result, your baby sleeps well (66). Research claims that the massage given to an infant for an improvement in the abdominal distension is very effective (67). Abdominal distension is a term to define an abdomen expanding outwardly due to the accumulation of gas in the stomach.
How to Perform a Stomach Massage on an Infant?
For keeping the digestive system healthy, we strongly advise you to follow these simple steps if you want to give your baby a soothing massage –
- Wet your hands with olive oil which is recommended for applying on a newborn’s body (68).
- Take your hands towards the chin of the baby so that fingers are placed on the shoulder. Now, caress through hands leading to the chest and near the diaper. Repeat this process to give a gentle massage.
- Bend the knee of the baby so that it is possible to imitate a cycling motion using baby’s legs.
- Now, put your finger on the belly button and rotate it in a clockwise direction. This step will let the gas move, eventually making it easier for your baby to pass it in the form of flatus.
You need to take these steps carefully so that your objective gets fulfilled. You don’t want your baby to suffer, so this strategy will help in relieving gas pain quickly (69). Here’s a video that explains the procedure more clearly.
What are the Factors Responsible for Gas?
Unknowingly, you would be doing certain things that negatively impact your health. The needs of every human body are different, and you should always take a note of it. The more you are aware of your needs, the better care you can take of yourself.
The reason behind your suffering from bloating can be the consumption of foods rich in fat. Since fat is known for delaying the process of emptying the stomach, it is of high importance that you reduce the intake of such food items which constituent a lot of fat (70). As a genuine advice, you should avoid the consumption of the junk food.
On the basis of the points mentioned so far, here are some facts which you can take into consideration –
- Much excess gas is swallowed while chewing gum. So, avoid buying gums.
- The food which is rich in fiber, like broccoli, asparagus, onions, muffins, etc. can cause gas. Thus, make sure that what you are eating can be digested easily. That being said, food high in protein may give you a hard time. Eat food with less fiber and protein contents, such as a low FODMAP diet.
- While eating food, the one mistake you may be making is chewing it too fast. Take enough time and chew your food slowly.
- If you are currently using dentures, make sure that it fits properly. Otherwise, there is a risk of swallowing air in excess while you are eating or drinking something. Avoid drinking using a straw in order to prevent your body from swallowing excess air.
- If you have been drinking beverages along with eating food, then you should stop doing so. The internal body temperature gets affected in such a case, which directly creates problems with the digestion process. The enzymes that are responsible for digestion don’t work well in a diluted environment.
- While consuming yogurt, you should sprinkle some amount of salt too.
- Add ginger to your diet, as it is said to be very effective in preventing gas related troubles. (71)
- When you are buying a dairy product, make sure that you check the label correctly for ensuring that it doesn’t contain lactose in rich amount.
The doctors will suggest you to work on your eating habits. The treatment for gas may vary from one individual to another. On the context of making changes in the diet, a study has shown that the patients with bloating who avoided the consumption of food rich in lactose, fructose, and fiber, improved their condition significantly (72).
In a nutshell, the digestion process of the food you consume takes time. For people who lack adequate enzymes, the digestion is not easy due to which undigested food is further broken down by the bacteria in the large intestine, resulting in gas. It is not even comfortable for the digestive system to release this gas, as it gets hard to pass it through the gastrointestinal tract. This gas often has the bad odor and may release in the small amount after sometime creating a moment of embarrassment for you, if you are in public. It is still possible to get rid of gas naturally if you don’t want shell out money on a doctor at a stage when you can treat the problem on your own with the understanding of the condition.
If you are experiencing bloating for more than two days despite trying home remedies to get relief from gas pain, you should visit a doctor. The purpose of coming up with home remedies is to save your time that you might have to spend with the doctor for issues as small as those that can be treated on your own. These remedies have been the talk of the town for a much extended period. It is only due to effectiveness and safety that people still look forward to natural remedies for gas and bloating.
The points above clearly suggest that you must make some changes in your lifestyle, consume healthy or counter products and take a note of your eating habits so that this awkward condition doesn’t repeat itself. It might be hard to avoid spicy and mouth-watering food items at times, but you can certainly reduce the consumption if your body is prone towards developing excess gas. The knowledge that you have obtained from this article should be enough for you to start the implementation of these home remedies and educate others about the same too.